quarta-feira, novembro 01, 2017

November

Versão em português
Version en français

I never forgot the words of one of my husband's aunts during my first autumn here in Canada – "I hate November, it's the worst month of the year." – she said.
In the early years, when everything was new to me, I thought she was exaggerating. Despite all the bureaucracy I had to deal with and all the expenses I had to face for changing civil status and moving to another country – a whirlwind of measures to take I was delighted with everything, because love makes us overcome all obstacles. It would not be thirty days that would disturb my joy.
That year, we had a sunny and very hot summer, the Northern Hemisphere had been generous to the point of receiving me so warmly, living up to my "tropicality". Autumn followed with all the beauty of the foliage in dazzling colours, a show that I knew only from pictures or paintings. Then, the leaves have fallen, as we learn at school, but we do not have the opportunity to see with the same magnitude in our "tropical paradises".
A short "Indian summer" came before I marvel at winter, with all the surprising varieties of water conditions also my first time to see these capricious forms of solid H2O: the beautiful and silent crystals in snowflakes, but also the dreaded ice storm the rain that freezes and sticks on the surfaces. Not to mention the freezing cold that taught me rituals and gestures never imagined clothes and even ways to walk.
Over the years, I got accustomed, but not like people from these latitudes. I keep a certain respect and, why not say, fear of these mood states of nature, not always favorable.
Now, I begin to agree with my dear aunt. I share her displeasure with this month. Yes, it is the worst of all. The darkness of the days becomes more evident, the green remains only in coniferous trees a green without strength at this time. Migratory birds have already left to the south, insects and spiders are trying to come into our homes in search of shelter, and we no longer hear the birds singing. The wind is strong and cold, announcing that winter shall soon be on our doorstep.
Let the snow come, then, to erase all those shadows wanting to take possession of us. May it reflect our lights and show us the right paths. And when December comes, our hope will be renewed, the light of day will start staying longer with us. We will celebrate the gift of LIFE again. May Christmas come!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário